Good music, a glass of your favourite drink, and an at-home spa day filled with all your favourite pampering routines—sometimes you just need a break from how busy life can be and wind down and enjoy a self-care day.
What’s your favourite way to unwind?
Ahead, we’ll look at why self-care is important, and how to build out a self-care routine, including some practices you might want to integrate into that routine.
Why self-care is important
Self-care has become more of a buzzword than a practice that leads to better mental health and boosts self-confidence. Rather than something dedicated to self-improvement, self-care encourages self-nurturing and nourishing. Self-care helps us down regulate from the wildness and ambiguity of life. It can be reading a book, drinking a mug of tea, yoga, finally dealing with an ingrown hair issue, or a combo of any of the above, and more.
More than anything, self-care is dedicated time to yourself for yourself, and that’s why it’s important.
How to build your self-care routine
Refining and finessing your skincare routine, habit swapping, or even reading 10 minutes a day can have huge benefits on your mental health and well-being.
Here’s a loose guide on how to incorporate specific practices and rituals into a self-care routine you can rely on to help you take a break and process this wild, beautiful world.
- Start with how you feel in your body. For the most part, how our body feels, or how it holds pain, stress, or even happiness, is going to be the biggest tell for what a self-care routine will look like. Our bodies hold the answers to the many questions we have. If you’re energized, your routine will look a lot different than someone recovering from burnout and who might need slower, methodical practices to regulate.
- Make a list of what brings you joy. What self-care means to you includes a lot of what brings you joy, and what you’d like to do. Write out a list. It doesn’t have to be detailed (or it can be) and see where and when you can reasonably accomplish these tasks or rituals.
- Make time in your schedule. Carving out time in your schedule is one of the most crucial parts of building out and maintaining a self-care routine. Rituals like these ones need time and space to breathe and make a difference in your life. It doesn’t need to be like an obligation block of time in your calendar, but something you’re looking forward to doing.
- Consider skincare rituals to include in your routine. A lot of folks find solace in physically taking care of their body, including applying skincare products and methodically massaging and maintaining, which can be quite rewarding. Some parts of a skincare routine coupled with self-care include face masks and reading a book, listening to a podcast while you go through the motions of applying your nightly moisturizers and oils, or taking a bath and using an exfoliant on your body before soaking in Epsom salts to let your muscles regenerate.
- Make hair removal a part of your routine. Hair removal like waxing or using a hair removal cream*, can be part of your home self-care ritual. It’s taking time to take care of you.
- Try setting a mood for yourself while you remove unwanted facial hair. (Hair removal for face)
Removing facial hair with our Veet® PURE wax strips, not only removes hair but our hypoallergenic formula contains 50% less chemicals than our regular Veet Easy-Gel Wax Strips. It’s a great way to start your skincare routine! Ensure this product is right for you. Always read and follow product label.♬ original sound - Veet Canada
- Make underarm hair removal part of your monthly go-to in your routine. (Hair removal for underarms)
What happens when you wax with Veet PURE? You get 28 days of smoothness. That’s right, almost a months worth of smoothness after one at home self care session It will definitely have you saying heck ya every week Ensure this product is right for you. Always read and follow the product label before use.#hairremoval #waxroutine #bodyhair #bodywaxing #hairygirlproblems ♬ original sound - Veet Canada
- Before getting into the rest of your self-care routine, begin with removing hair from your legs. (Hair removal for legs)
If you’re considering waxing as your hair removal method, Veet PURE Wax Strips are gentle on your skin and made with a hypoallergenic wax formula*. *Formulated to minimize the risk of allergic reactions. Ensure this product is right for you. Always read and follow product label.@sademowatt♬ original sound - Veet Canada
Self-care is a praxis, not prescriptive. It’s something you want to do, to nourish and nurture yourself as a means of actual care, not just performing something that will trick you into feeling better.
* Ensure this product is right for you. Always read and follow the product label before use.