If you’re a firm believer of a no hair bikini line (which we support 1000% no matter which way you go with hair maintenance!) getting and keeping it smooth for the summer can seem daunting.
A smooth, sleek bikini line really comes down to a fine-tuned hair and skin care routine that optimizes your hair, skin sensitivities, and preferred method of removal.
Let’s get down to it: how to get the smoothest bikini line for summer.
Pick the right hair removal product or method for you
There are many ways to remove body hair, and it’s essential to ensure the method you choose for your bikini line is safe and reliable for you and your skin. Some methods, like shaving, might cause ingrown hairs, particularly if a dull razor is used.
The most common methods for bikini line hair removal shaving, hair removal creams (also called depilatory creams), and waxing:
- Shaving requires precision and moving the razor with the grain—meaning the direction your hair grows. If you’re prone to skin bumps or ingrown hairs, consider a diligent skin prep routine, and using a sharp razor.
- You might wonder: is it good to use hair removal cream on your private parts? The short answer? Yes. But always do a test patch well in Have sensitive skin? Consider using our first ever cream product that can removal hair from the full bikini area, Veet® Professional™ Full Bikini Hair Removal Cream Kit* This hair removal cream starts working from 2 minutes and works tougher to remove hair.
- Getting a wax seems like a rite of passage for many, but you don’t need to go to such lengths for a smooth bikini line. Waxing lasts the longest out of the most common hair removal methods, up to 28 days. Waxing helps prevent ingrown hairs, but may cause temporary redness and discomfort. Consider trying cold wax strips hot wax, like Veet® Pure™ Cold Wax Strips*.
Grow out your hair
To get the most out of your bikini hair removal, you’ll need to grow it out first. Whether you’re using hair removal cream or waxing, the best results for hair removal and overall smooth skin, comes from letting it grow to about a quarter of an inch. Consider trying the Veet® Professional™ Wax Strips, For Legs & Body, Dry Skin, With Aloe Vera* and our expertly designed EasyGripTM tab. These Veet® wax strips help you remove hair as short as 1.5 mm from the root, even on the first application.
Properly prep your skin
Caring for your skin is just as important as tending to the hair that’s growing out of it. Dirt and oil aren’t created in a vacuum: your skin and hair play a crucial role in ensuring a smooth bikini line.
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Thoroughly wash and cleanse the area before hair removal.
- Use an exfoliant at least 24 hours prior.
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water, particularly before hair removal.
- Moisturize skin often but only 24 to 48 hours before or after removing hair.
It’s not just done and forgotten about after you achieve that smooth bikini line of your dreams. Bikini line aftercare looks a lot like bikini line prep, which should tell you something about the importance of maintaining healthy and happy skin.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts for aftercare:
- Don’t immediately exfoliate the skin afterward.
- Do keep an eye on the area for the first 48 hours for any irritation or redness.
- Don’t skip sunscreen application.
- Do moisturize often but only 24 to 48 hours prior to and after hair removal.
- Don’t forget to keep a hair removal routine to ensure maximum smoothness.
*Ensure this product is right for you. Always read and follow the product label before use.